Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
young pumpkin in danger?

Posted by bochoff 6A (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 10, 09 at 22:20

I have a small week old pumpkin that decided to blossom close to the wooden frame of my garden. My question is, will this interfere with the growth of the fruit/vine as it becomes closer to the 2x4? Pic below labeled pumpkin (hope it worked) Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: young pumpkin in danger?

better pic of the pumpkin

Here is a link that might be useful: pumpkins

o

If you can gently shift the vine without any risk of breaking it then you might want to do that.

Otherwise, the most likely thing is that the pumpkin will grow with an odd, flat side where it presses against the wood. There is a small change that it will rot there but my guess is that the chance of breaking the vine by trying to move it and the change of the pumpkin rotting where it contacts the wood are about equal.

You may, just possibly, be able to raise the pumpkin and its nearby section of vine above the level of the wood and perch it atop an overturned bucket or some such thing -- with a pad of straw or pine straw to protect the bottom. That would allow it to develop without a flat spot with, perhaps, less risk of breaking the vine than if you tried to move the entire vine.

o

I doubt it will be a problem. The fruit itself can move over, if it hits the frame. By that, I mean that the pressure of the growing fruit against an immovable frame will actually move the pumpkin slightly. There could be a slight mark on the fruit, where it touches the frame, but it shouldn't cause it to go bad.

When I get around to it I'll post a picture of A PROBLEM with one of my pumpkins!

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

Iam3...I moved the vine over about 8 inches and I didn't seem to damage the fruit....macmex, cant wait to see your pumpkin "problem" THANKS FOR THE HELP PEOPLE

o

Here you go. Notice that I have a fence made up of two different kinds of wire, a cattle panel and a rectangular mesh. This Warsaw Buff Pie Pumpkin set right between the two... AND between the smaller mesh of the rectangular wire! I'm going to have to cut it to pieces in order to harvest it!

Stuck Pumpkin

o

this happened to my pumpkin as well. What I did was filled the area the pumpkin was in with dirt so the pumpkin was above the wood on the raised bed. And continued to grow. Another option is some how making a sling for it where you can slowly raise it to avoid the wood. I can see that you already supported the other pumpkin to the right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here