Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sndk

highest producing strains?

sndk
10 years ago

this year i bought some hybrid zuke seeds and while the plants were maturing continued reading about high production as i wanted to get a ton of fruit.

the year has been ok, i planted 15 plants but production still wasnt where i wanted it to be when i came across a comment that you could just grow any vining winter squash variety and harvest the immature fruit to be used like zucchini.

after lots of reading i made an order for some sweet meat, long pie, cheese, blue guatemalan, waltham butternut, and blue hubbard.

i plan to do a growout next year to find the variety that does best, but was wondering if i missed one that might be better known as a huge producer.

i do like winter squash too so then i started looking to see which ones i could leave fruit on to mature and have something with good eating qualities when ripe.

i am looking for a strain that produces the most poundage per acre in zone 4, the long pie had a comment that it was like a huge zucchini until it turned into a pumpkin with really great storage and flavor qualities so based on reading im the most excited about that, but am i missing anything?

i plan to do a growout, and based on that only do 1 variety after, so highest yield per acre potential and ability to eat young fruit as summer squash while the rest are left alone to produce winter squash. does such an animal exist?

oh i am happier if it produces many smaller fruit vs a few enormous ones.
thank you!

Comments (4)

Sponsored