Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkins on trellises

Posted by planetes (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 23:11

Ok, so after my first year of experimenting with growing pumpkins I've made some discoveries and I would like some advice

I have been growing my sugar (pie) pumpkins in containers on my patio. The containers have proven to be too small and although the plants are surviving it's clear they've reached their maximum ability in those pots.

Sooo.. I've got 3 much larger pots (fiberglass half barrel) that I plan to use next year. I also plan to use obelisk style trellises (one plant and one trellis in each pot) to train them up rather than sprawl around.

Is this feasible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkins on trellises

I don't know how big this half barrel is; if you can give actual dimensions it's more helpful. I'm growing Seminoles in a 'planter' made of slabs of marble. the whole thing is about 4 feet wide by 2.5 feet high by 2.5 feet deep. They're running up a dead tree and I have around 13 fruit set now. One thing that helps is, if you can get a longer container, to plant the seeds on one end and let them trail across the top of the soil before they actually go up the trellis. This gives the vines the chance to send roots into the soil from each root node. Normally regular pumpkins trail and root in as they go; this helps the plant. You can't really achieve than in a planter but the more roots you can get, the better. And of course you'll want to give them a really rich mix with lots of rotten composted and manure mixed in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Freak in Istanbul

o

The pot is about 24 inches diameter and about 20 inches deep I didn't think about the longer container idea though. I'll see what I can find. I'm mostly dealing with limited space so trying to grow them up instead of out.

o

Don't pumpkin vines put down roots?

o

Yes they do put down roots if they have the chance, and the ideal way to grow them is to let them root into good soil along the vines. But if you don't have the room for that, you can still get some as long as you're not trying to grow an award-winning Atlantic Giant. :) BTW my Bungkans have now climbed up into the plum trees as well and are forming two squash up there. It's getting a bit wild around here...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here