Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show me your pumpkins/squash/gourds

Posted by weirdtrev Z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 23:42

I really enjoy seeing pictures of everyones pumpkin patches, and I think others do too. I have always been disappointed that we don't have a gallery on this forum and I want to see more pictures. So I'll get this started with some pictures of my pumpkins and gourds.

Pumpkin forming
pumpkin

Burpee Butterbush
butternut

Immature ornamental gourd
gourd

Same type of ornamental gourd, mature
gourd

Jack-be-little
pumpkin

Hooligan Pumpkins and ornamental gourd
pumpkins

Bicolor pear gourd and several female flowers
gourds

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show me your pumpkins/squash/gourds

Thanks for posting your pictures. I check daily for new post and pictures. I would post pictures, but I don't know how.

o

I just created an image that explains how to post images. I did this so I could post the code without it being converted into an image. Here is how to post photos on GardenWeb:

image tags

o

I had a ton of volunteers. Most I pluck but I left these (from June 15).
Photobucket
And on July 31.

Photobucket
Look what was hiding the other day.
Photobucket

o

Finally this year I got my first pumpkin. check out the pictures I have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/costenbaderj/2743656879/
Now I just have to get more. and the Gourds nothing this year but guess I will keep trying.

o

O.K. Trev, I have not grown ornamental gourds for several years and my pumpkin/squash collection is currently mostly C.mixta and C. moschata.
Photobucket
Fagtong Sri Muang
Gold stripe cushaw
Beung Karn
Musque de Moroc
Jonathon
Sweet potato
Green Stripe Cushaw

o

Here's a couple pictures of my Golden Hubbard squash. I shamefully admit to have purchased the seed due mostly to the pretty picture on the front of the seed package.

This one doesn't look so big in the picture, but it has about the same diameter as a basketball. I sure hope it tastes good.

My biggest

When I look at these, instead of Golden Hubbard, I think of Golden Hooters. *;^)

A Lovely Pair

o

Fantastic pictures, I love hubbard squash or any other odd looking plants. I find traditional pumpkins to be boring and overrated, give me a warty squash any day. It's amazing how many people are unaware of these different looking plants. Friends are constantly telling me they have never seen the squash I grow before.
Great pictures.

o

farmerdilla,

Would you consider mailing me that warty, pink & grey squash in your second photo?? :-)) WOW that is a beauty!! Great pictures everyone you have given me the needed push to get back into squash growing. Next year, next year, next year for sure!!

DL

o

dancinglemons; That is the the Fagtong Sri Muang. It has a long season 130-140 days. Does ok here, but probably takes too long in more northern locations. It is rare in the USA so I do make seeds available to anyone who would like to try it.

Here is a link that might be useful: trade list

o

Photobucket

a variety from HD called....wait for it.....pumpkin

Photobucket

can you see her hiding?

o

Here's some pics of my late-blooming trellised acorn squash. At least I hope they are true to breed, since the seeds were from a store-bought squash.

2 vines took off up the trellis and then along the fence. The other 4 (thinned to 3) stayed bushy until just the last 2 weeks. I may have made a typical newbie mistake and tried to grow too many plants in too small a space.
DSC_1589

The only big squash so far. About 6 inches in diameter. Let's hear it for the ivy that makes a great support, along with an old stocking. Upper right is a small squash that doesn't seem to be getting any bigger... :^(
DSC_1584

What's he looking so happy about? I'm the one who will be eating these babies!
But you can also see the tub used for the planters (about 15 gal) and dismantled mini greenhouse shelves that now serve as racks for the expanding bushy plants.
DSC_1592

One of the new squash from a bushy plant. It's doing well but the tiny one in the background was lost to what seemed to be blossom end rot.
DSC_1586

o

OK - first time ever trying to post a pic...

My first big snake gourd
Photobucket

I am so astounded that worked. How do you get the picture to be smaller, instead of going off the page?

o

Trev - I don't grow any special squash, but I wanted to make a contribution to your thread anyway. It's the best photo of squash that i've taken this year. Thanks for teaching me alot about squash this season. EG

o

got this one growing in a container Photobucket

o

Beautiful pumpkins everyone.
I had to harvest a bunch of mine yesterday because the squirrels found my patch and ate 3 pumpkins in one night.
I have no idea what varieties Im growing. These pumpkins are the result of leaving a few fall decoration gourds and pumpkins out on a rock overwinter in my front yard.

This is a pic of my kids last fall in front of the pumpkins

Here is what I harvested so far...there is at least 20-40 more fruits to ripen

Here is a big boy that I carved my daughters name into

And here is a big boy I carved my sons name into

The kids love the name carving trick...they get really excited to show their friends "their pumpkins"

I love the ease at which these plants grow....but trying to be organic with SVB and Squash Bugs and powdery mildew, and the %#@&*$# squirrels can make me crazy. Plus, the vines are taking over my driveway and my wife "accidentally" took out 6 fruits last week. Cest la vie, there is still plenty to enjoy.

Sunshineboy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here