Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicknpiza

Pie Pumpkin: leaf concern (it's not PM, i think)

Chicknpiza
9 years ago

I solved the calcium magnesium deficiency, but this started showing up in it's place and I can't identify the problem. Nursing school just started back this week so I don't have a lot of time to research this concern and I need your help.

Winter Luxury Pumpkins

Background:
-Container garden using solid wood furniture that drains well (but 3 are in five gallon pots until I find them a new home)
-ProMix Bx
-3 days ago: added a compost tea with ProMix Bx, worm castings, and Dr. Earth mix (and a little molasses)
-Added Dr earth compost a week ago.
-2 weeks ago: Grow More Maxi Cal 10-0-0 for Calcium Magnesium deficiency
-Added agrowinn worm castings and Dr Earth garden veg mix a week ago.
-Been using Sea Grow 16-16-16 seaweed liquid fertilizer (dry mix added to water).

The discoloration starts at the V portion of the leaf veins, then proceeds to extend out. Not all the leafs are like this (yet). It seems to be cell based, not topical.
First time pumpkin grower. I have my garden on the roof of a house's add-on room so the roof is fairly flat, plus the pumpkins get a lot more sunlight and fewer bugs =)

Comments (3)

• springtogarden
    9 years ago

I think that is just the leaf pattern. How old are your plants? I am growing the same pumpkin. Mine has leaf patterns too but I haven't looked that close so it is throwing me a bit but I am pretty sure that is it. Is that plant healthy otherwise? I use Dr. Earth too. Love that stuff! My plant may not have the patterns on all the leaves either. I believe the older ones didn't. Let us know how many pumpkins you get per plant! I'd love to compare notes.

• Chicknpiza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the reply, I'm much relieved =)

Seeded mid/late July. This picture (Aug 19th) shows the converted bedroom furniture best. The last two boxes are completely covered with leafs by now. The boards running across the soil surface are just on top and do not separate the soil, they just strengthen the planter.

Please ignore the 2 plants in the 2 liter red soda bottles (they have been donated to a friends garden and have room to grow now)

My babies are about 5-6 weeks old and the leafs don't have that yellow edge anymore. The plants have 1-3 baby female flowers each (jellybean to small gum-ball size) If I calculated correctly, I should have pumpkins for my soup for Thanksgiving.

I'll be growing the pumpkins over side of the house. I'll have a couple of 8 foot boards hanging straight off the roof. Then I'll run nylon strings between the boards to make a poor mans net to keep them high above the ground in as much sun a possible. The roof itself gets too hot for the vines to rest on. I'll have plenty of vine training to keep me busy on my study breaks.

• springtogarden
    9 years ago

You're welcome! Looks great! I think the WL pumpkin likes the California sun :). I like your setup. You will have to update us on your vine training. My plant has been very healthy but very unproductive. I live in an area with short summers and strong weather so that may have something to do with it. I only have one pumpkin on the vine but it is a nice size and is turning orange. I want to see if yours is able to sustain more pumpkins than mine was and if your plants do better, I might try again next year. Maybe cover the plant so it gets a longer season and hopefully grow in a bigger space so I can grow more than just 1 plant. I just love growing pumpkins so I don't mind experimenting!