Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vine not growing edges of leaves turning yellow

Posted by shammydog (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 5:05

i live in so ca. and have a basketball size pumpkin growing on our second story balcony in a 30 gallon container.
my question is: if my vine has stopped growing, and my leaves are turning yellow on the out sides of the leaves, is my plant dieing? my pumpkin is at 33 inches around,and has slowed down to a 1/8 in a day. does anybody know if it is done growing, and should i leave it on the vine till halloween? thanks for any info

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vine not growing edges of leaves turning yellow

Sounds like your vine is slowing down, ripening its fruit, and getting ready for the big rest. Being in a container restricts the vine's roots' foraging ability so it's not too unusual to see your plant coming to a timely end. Leave the pumpkin on the vine until the leaves are dead. If that doesn't happen before Halloween week, pick it and carve it up anyway. If you're not eating it, it doesn't have to be completely ripe. You can leave it on the vine after the leaves are dead if you prefer since you won't be getting any hard freezes in SoCal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here