Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acorneti

Cucurbita maxima boer ford `Nadym�

acorneti
9 years ago

I created the biggest boer ford 'Nadym' now with an averaged weight of 30 kg (from 24 to 36).
This shiny white fruit on the old farmer's scales has 80.5 lbs. or 36,5 kg, 50 cm averaged diameter, the hight of averaged 26,5 cm and the stem-to-blossom-axis of only 20 cm.
That makes a ratio of 2,5 for diameter/sb-axis.
That's a real cheese loaf when it turns more yellowish in late winter.
This variety with now deep yellow and dark orange flesh in November is storable until spring.
Flesh is very dense and so will be best for industrial processing.
Now I have to select a few years to establish the wide and flat shape.

This post was edited by acorneti on Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 7:43

Comments (9)

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

3,65 kg on the other side of the scales.

• slimfatty
    9 years ago

Again this is a stunning pumpkin!!! You must breed and specialize...i love the white and blue pumpkins. do you have blue moon pumpkins??

• Macmex
    9 years ago

In what region do you live and garden? I haven't grown Flat White Boer since 1983, and then, it flopped for me. (That was in Northern Indiana).

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Try it again, George!
    Cherokee County might have a similar climate to ourôs in SE Bavaria.
    I seeded indoor in April and set out in May. Next year Iôll try my new system with transparent plastics around and a double layer of anti-hail-netting above for the first month outdoor.
    Voles ate the stump of some plants, when vines began to run more than 5 feet. Next year Iôll plant greater celandine again for the voles, because they like it more then pumpkins.
    Now there grows another fruit of Nadym in my patches, which might have a diameter of about 65 cm and is very flat too. Iôll harvest it the first weekend in October. Would you like to have seed from that fruit too?
    So long!
    Ludwig

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, slimfatty, I do not grow so many hybrids of other growers.
    But I specialize triamble/tristar, where the Blue Moon comes from.
    Now I will breed the original little tristar and a larger variety with 4 lobes in pistils and 4 placental areas as well as a larger tristar.
    The great 4-lober I have named Cucurbita maxima `Quadrambleô.
    I want to cross the Quadramble pollinated by the other 4-lober 612 Ammer 14, which I want to send to you.
    And so it would be nice, if you did that cross too!
    Yes, I love blue pumpkins very much, and I would like to found a new competition class of "Blue Danube Giant Pumpkins". Now Iôll try Quadramble with AG and my new Blue Banana with AG for that aim.
    The largest leaf and the longest vine of all blue pumpkins and squashes in my patches has C. maxima `New England Blue Hubbardô. I also grow C. maxima `New Zealand Blueô, and I love this variety too. But I still donôt know what to breed with it. Maybe it will be pollinated by my new Blue Banana next year.
    I have a new variety out of the New England Blue with a very short stem-to-blossom-axis: this is the anti-long double recessive.
    You can have this one too, since you like blue pumpkins.
    We have to secure this genetically double short fruits in growing them alone: far away from normal New England Blue plants.
    Are you interested?

• Macmex
    9 years ago

I wish I could grow c. maxima squash, here in NE Oklahoma. But that is something like a 1 in 10 chance due to our terrible insect problems. Most especially, we have lots of squash vine borers, which think that c. maximas are the best of gourmet fare. I pretty much focus on c. moschata, as it has both the superior insect resistance and truly thrives in extreme heat.

If I lived in a place without squash vine borers I would almost certainly try a good c. maxima. They are, in my opinion, the very finest of eating quality.

George

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Did you try to grow Uganda grass yet?
    Some growers in Uganda multiply my pumpkin seed (C. maxima), and they could not do that, if they did not grow Pennisetum purpureum (also known as Elephant grass, Napier grass, Uganda grass...) around their patches, because this plants attract the borers and kill them after penetrating their stems.
    Elephant grass also shades C. maxima a little and so help to survive in the heat of arid summers.
    You can easily multiply Pennisetum purpureum with roots and rhizomes. But it is not frost resistant, and so you would have to store the rhizomes in your boiler room through the winter.
    But I like to grow C. moschatas too.
    And I have enlarged them with C. maxima AGs.
    Such interspecific crosses are not splashy for us, we also do intergeneric crosses with Cucumis melo of the inodorus group onto C. maxima.
    In 2014 we have successfully pollinated a C. moschata `Pennsylvania Dutch Crookneckô by a two times selfed 1385.5 Jutras 07 Atlantic Giant (AG). The result now is a C. moschata with a very short shaft instead the neck and a great elliptical balloon in front. The fine skin and color of PA Dutch Crookneck also are on this fruit: a very very fine C. moschata, but we have not opened it yet.
    And we have enlarged the C. moschata `La Estrellaô (an academically developed fruit from Florida) with the same AG: this fruit now lookes like a large green-brown olive with beige stripes. The elliptical shape we produce, because the stretto grown 1385.5 only makes elongated oval babies.
    Macmex, did you try C. moschata `Palav Kadooô yet?
    I show you a picture of mine.
    But I have some large C. moschata `Bambina Giganteô as well, which now grow near the Palav Kadoos until October.

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since you like white pumpkins, I want to show you my C. maxima turbaniformis `Zucca Matovanaô.
    Skin here is still a little chartreuse in July, but matured the whole fruit (turban and chignon) is bright greyish-white.

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

...and the one, I said, would grow with 65 cm in diameter, now is harvested with 46 kg or more then 100 lbs.!
    It was laying in the dirt with some weed, so skin in mostly damaged.
    I just wanted to test applicapability for growing on farmer's fields for industrialized production.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus