Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long Island Cheese - when to harvest

Posted by Mark120760 none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 9:40

I posted this same message in the Vegetable Forum before I realized there was this specialized one. We are growing Long Island Cheese baking pumpkins for the first time. Our first and largest fruit turned mushy on the vine after a few days of appearing ripe. I harvested the next four when they had a slight tinge of green on one side, and they appear to be curing fine. I have several more still on the vines. What's the best time to harvest this pumpkin?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long Island Cheese - when to harvest

With this and most other squash of the c. moschata family, they are best harvested after the rind turns hard, so that one cannot puncture it with one's thumbnail. Normally folks leave this one on the vine until the fruit has turned a nice buff color.

The squash that rotted had something the matter with it. It's not because it became over ripe. Long Island Cheese should last for months at normal ambient temperatures.

Though I don't grow Long Island Cheese, I do grow a couple of c. moschata varieties which are similar. I prefer to leave mine on the vine for a month after they test ripe, unless they are threatened with a hard frost.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

Thanks. Super helpful. I have at least ten more out there.

o

Hi George,

I'm not the OP but your answer came in really handy! Thanks!! I grow the C. moshata also with pretty good results and always wondered when was the proper time to pick. Growing Rumbo this year first time and just knowing that I can leave these beautiful specimen on the vine for a month without any harm is great news!!

Cheers,
DL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here