Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharibearie

Let Gourds Hang or Not?

sharibearie
18 years ago

We planted some gourds along the fence and some are big kettle gourds I think. They have already pulled some of the wire off the fence due to weight...even though it was supported. I have 3 varieties that I believe should grow on the ground. Should I go ahead and put them down on the ground or just keep supporting their weight? Will they do better on the ground? They are in the grass too...I don't know if that hurts them or not. ??? Also, I have 2 dipper gourd plants...one hanging in a tree. Do these need to have their weight supported or do they usually stay light enough that they won't break their stem? The handle on one is about a foot long. One is a long handled dipperI can tell, because it is long and skinny. The other has a more bulbus ball and a thicker handle. Do these usually hang? Sorry if someone has already asked these questions...I haven't had time to skim the posts! We're just experimenting..but I have a few NICE gourds and don't want to ruin them!! Thanks for any help!! Shari

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!