Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wild_forager

how well do squash tolerate high soil temps?

wild_forager
15 years ago

I'd like to grow squash in a hanging container, but I'm concerned about the high soil temperatures in the summer. Do squash handle that well?

Comments (6)

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

I'd say so, I've grown squash in containers (not hanging) and there has never been a problem with soil temperatures. The do drink a LOT of water especially when they reach a mature size. My concern would be that a hanging container is limited on size because of the weight of the container. A container that is able to hang might not be big enough to support a maturing squash. Oh and just as a heads up, squash vine borers can still attack your plants. I've removed grubs from trellised squash at chest height.

What kind of squash do you plant to hang? I'd be interested to hear how that works out for you next year.

• wild_forager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I don't know yet. I was thinking a bush variety of something like butternut, or maybe cukes. I know my hanging frame can support a ton of weight so my issue is more with how much weight the vine can support. Does anyone have suggestions for a type of squash to hang down from the container? It's about a 5 gallon I think and it would actually grow out of the bottom of the pot.

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Grow out of the bottom of the pot? I would fear the weight of plant with developing fruit would pull it right out. Squash don't have really strong stems or roots. You might want to ask the question in the container gardens forum, Those folks are more dedicated to that mode of growing.

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

Thats an excellent point about weak stems. I know with my trellised squash if a vine reaches the end of the trellis and has nothing to hang on to it will just kink. This is particularly true of the C. Maximas that I have grown. If the vines don't have something to grab on to the vines will split or snap right off in a strong wind.

• wild_forager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yikes! I didn't think of that. My tomatoes did just fine in it. But now that you mention it I've seen such behavior in squash as well. Ok, then maybe I should shoot for something else :)

• susaneden
    15 years ago

Wild--I know you can grow cukes in them--a friend did it. I can't see a winter squash in there, unless it was a bush butternut or something like that (shorter vines), but then you have to contend with the weight of the fruiting vine too, and what that weight wll do to the vine......

Peppers and eggplant do very well in those containers, too.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert