Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to store winter squash if not in basement?

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 20, 09 at 10:37

My basement stinks of must and I don't want to store any food down there. My freezer is almost full, so I can't fit all my butternut squash pulp in there. Would I just find the coolest place in my house and keep them there?? I'm sure their shelf life would be decreased.??
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to store winter squash if not in basement?

We don't have a basement and simply store them in the coolest place possible. Some last quite a while.

If your basement only smells musty, you might consider storing them there. You could always wipe them off before using.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

Thanks George,
I must have an incredible number of must receptors in my taste because I'm really sensitive to some "flavors". So I think I'll find a really cool closet somewhere. I'll have to check out my attic. It might get too cold though.
Thanks!

o

Just don't put them there until weather gets cold. Attics can really heat up when the sun is shining.

I remember 25 years ago, when we lived in a house trailer and had an exceptionally large squash harvest. We had them under our bed, behind the couch and other furniture and even used one for a door stop! The door stop squash, a large Tahitian Melon Squash, lasted for about a year.

George

o

LOL George! I hadn't thought of a door stop. Good idea!

I do have a thermometer at the top of the pull-down steps for the attic. I've never checked the temp in the winter, but I had it there for the summer.........I'm surprised it doesn't spontaneous combust up there on hot days. It goes up as high as the thermometer will go...something like 130+.....so no squash up there!

o

You can store them up until the frost outside, on your porch, for example. They will ripen faster this way. Or you can store in a shed if gets some air flow. Put them on some dry hay or straw. The cooler, dryer they are kept, the longer they will last, loosing some of the moisture and getting tastier.

o

Thanks cyrus gardner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here