Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

Warsaw Round

Macmex
15 years ago

Hey folks,

Here's a picture of one of our favorite winter squashes. This is a selection I stabilized back in the 90s from Warsaw Buff Pie Pumpkin, which is a variable shaped butternut/cheese type squash.

I received seed for the Warsaw Buff Pie Pumpkin in 1984, from a customer at Owen's Supervalue grocery store (Warsaw, Indiana). The old fellow who gave me a squash had a truck load of buff colored squash: some round (like in this picture), some like large fat butternuts. I asked him what it was called and he said he'd grown it for over 30 years and didn't know of a name.

I received a "round" squash and saved seed to plant in 1985. That seed produced fruit of a couple of shapes and sizes. It was the best winter squash I ever had!

When our family left to live in Mexico I continued to grow and hand pollinate this squash, always selecting for the round fruited variation. By the mid 90s we only produced the pumpkin shaped fruit. But then, I realized that I had lost the original strain!

When we came back to the USA I contacted a friend in Tulsa, to whom I'd sent some of that original seed. He had some frozen, from his first grow out (1985). He sent me some of that seed and I grew that out in 2006. So, now I have both strains.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this picture. Our crop was small this year as I got it in late and planted it in a spot with too much shade.

George

Comments (8)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

What fun squashes! Thanks for sharing the history and the picture.

• tripod
    15 years ago

Great looking squash, George!

I find your post interesting because one of my four butternut vines is producing something similar to those you described - a combination of a butternut/cheese type shape. It's like a butternut with a short, stubby neck, a ribbed base that is somewhat broader than normal, and the standard butternut buff coloration. Having never seen or tasted a Warsaw Buff Pie Pumpkin, I wonder how similar the two are.

The vine has produced 3 medium sized fruits so far that just recently "buffed" up. I'll leave them alone for another few weeks, but my roasting pan is eager to give them a try.

How does the taste, texture, and moisture level of your Warsaw variant compare to standard butternuts or other winter squash?

Any chance you might be willing to exchange some seeds? I'd love to give yours a try come spring.

Steven

• Macmex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I suspect that the "original stock" for butternuts probably included more than just the crookneck form. We lived for some years in Mexico and it was interesting to observe the landraces of squash in several different regions. These are old populations of squash with a similar phenotype, yet within the landrace there is A LOT of variation. At some point I'm sure that all squash were found within some landrace or other. It seems that a very limited number of cultures have a penchant for refining varieties.

My wife and several others tell me that Warsaw Round and Warsaw Buff Pie are both a bit deeper orange than a butternut. My guess is that there are butternuts which are nearly the same as these squash on the inside. They are very similar.

I did grow Golden Cushaw (close relative to butternut, but shaped like a cushaw) back in the 80s. It has nice deep orange flesh, but the texture wasn't as fine as a butternut.

My seed supply is, unfortunately, kind of low. This year I planted this one in a less than optimal spot. Then, when it was close to blooming, I planted a row of Warsaw Buff Pie Pumpkin only about 20' away. That second planting started flowering a lot sooner than I expected, so there is some chance of a cross between the two. I have VERY FEW seed from the one Warsaw Round which I know was set before the WBPP started blooming. My guess is that the rest of the seed is 95% likely, still, to be pure. I could send you some of that, if you would like (when I cut them :) If there is a cross, the result will probably be a mix of predominantly the Warsaw Round with a few fat butternut shaped fruit mixed in. It would be easy to hand pollinate and select back to the Warsaw Round shape again.

In 2009 I plan on growing the Warsaw Buff Pie Pumpkin (WBPP) instead of Warsaw Round. I'm trying to grow a good size planting of whichever I grow and let the plants cross freely among themselves. During the 90s I hand pollinated exclusively; and I lost the original mix (regaining it again, as per above). Drop me a private e-mail if you would like some of this seed.

George

• Macmex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's another photo. This is a slightly different shape which occurrs within The Warsaw Round strain.

• karlgranat
    15 years ago

This is so interesting!

Do you have any spare seeds for this pumpkin? If you do I would love to buy some-

If not, I would love to get some next year.

Thanks-

Karl Granat

• Macmex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karl, drop me a private message by clicking on my screen name/ profile. Send me your e-mail address.

George

• jmsimpson9
    15 years ago

George!

I received the seeds from you last year and have been wanted to write you and let you know how my last planting went. My computer crashed and I lost all my data so I am glad to see you posting so I could let you know!

The second picture is the form that produced for me last year. I managed to get two to ripen.

I am planting them again this year!

• howden777
    14 years ago

Mac,

I just emailed you earlier today... and forgot to ask if you managed to create any more of your "family strain" of WBPP round. If you have a couple of those available, I would be VERY interested in growing them out.

Thanks again for the very interesting post and all the great information you share.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022