Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did it Freeze

Posted by bobboberan (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 24, 08 at 12:14

last night my lone 'one and only' pumpkin was left outside hanging out on the vine with a temperature of about 32F- 0C for several hours ,I put both hands on it to see how cool it is and it felt cold and hard did it freeze ? can I rescue it ? The outter shell of the pumpkin felt dry but I noticed a light film of frost on a few items around the yard this morning .As small as it is (almost 21inches in circumferance) its the only pumpkin I've ever grown or attempted to grow .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did it Freeze

Pumpkins can tolerate a light frost, if it is ripe it will probably be okay. If you did have frost I am sure your vine is dead now. If the leaves aren't dead then you didn't get frost on your vine.

o

When the frost is on the pumpkin, that's the time for ... oh never mind. Frost on your pumpkin is not necessarily a bad thing.
If the frost damaged your pumpkin, you will soon see portions of it, or all of it, become soft and mushy. But I doubt it will. Just keep an eye on it.

o

I think its okay actually I'm a little embarrassed because it grew to 22 inches circumferance everything seems okay its still hard but not cold healthy green looking no apparent damage but the next frost warning I will cut it from the vine . The vine isn't dead yet there are sparse but plenty of leaves . I got a scare because when I griped the pumpkin with both hands it was the kind of cold like carrying a block of ice... today it was about 70F and the pumpkin was warm and still hard by the end of the day .Thanks for your input it does help ...btw tcstoehr I like that little statement lol (that's the time for ... oh never mind)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here