Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help In Identifying

Posted by sunnyk Z6 SW Coastal CT (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 12:15

Any idea what these might be, thought one might be a Spaghetti squash, and the other is growing out of a patch of Trombincino.Any help would be wonderful. Sorry about the black and white. Vith Squashes are dark green in color. Will try to get color pictures soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help In Identifying second squash

Second squash

o
RE: Help In Identifying

I can tell you the first is a Cucurbita pepo and the second is a C. moschata (same as tromboncino). Other than that, hard to say what they are. Squash of the same species can cross freely and unless you know the seeds are pure they could be some hybrid and not a named variety. May or may not be of eating quality.

o

• Posted by sunnyk Z6 SW Coastal CT (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 19:50

So if the first one is c.pepo then might it still be a Spaghetti squash? And should I wait for the second one to change color before picking it.Andthanks for the help :-D

o

Could be, though it looks darker than I am familiar with, maybe it is just the photo. The shape is definitely a spaghetti squash shape.

The second one looks like nothing I've grown. There is someone on here that grows a lot of moschatas hopefully he'll chime in.

o

• Posted by sunnyk Z6 SW Coastal CT (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 12:43

Your right, it's dark green and no color I have ever seen in Spaghetti squash....but I keep hoping hahaha.

o

There are several C. moschata types coming out of Taiwan that are papaya shape. Phoenix, Fairy, Papaya Golden,Papaya Sweet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here