Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something is eating my birdhouse gourd flowers

Posted by MarielinIowa40 z5 IA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 21, 05 at 12:21

This is my FIRST YEAR at growing birdhouse gourds. I've planted 3 seeds in one spot and 2 in the next. Sofar it has grown 15 gourds (as far as I can tell) between the 5 seeds, but now something is eating the blooms and not just the flower pettals but it eats the whole bloom right off the stem. The area is undisturbed by people (except my husband and I) I do see alot of grasshoppers by the gourds, but nothing else that I could find thats chewing them off not even wabbits. Can anyone tell me what it possibly could do this?
I do know that the goats stay away from them and they just about eat anything.....LOL.
I'm tickeled to have gourds the VERY FIRST YEAR, but I would like to solve this problem so that I won't have this next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something is eating my birdhouse gourd flowers

Congratulations on your gourd crop. I can tell you are very excited about them!
This late in the growing season, you shouldn't worry about losing the blossom, but make sure they aren't dining on your gourds.
You won't have any crop from the bloom that is on your vines now, so go ahead and spray the little blossom-eaters! We use Sevin spray or dust after the middle of August, knowing that we aren't counting on the insects for pollination.

Jan

o
RE: Something is eating my birdhouse gourd flowers

Thanks Jan, I will keep the dust in mind and as soon as I have figured out whats eating them I'll let everyone know. Keep on growing.
Mariel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here