Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mindystuck

luffah gords

mindystuck
14 years ago

I started growing my luffah seeds in may, they are now over 6 feet tall and the leaves are big,green and healthy but its been 4 months and i havent gfown 1 gourd. What am i doing wrong?

Comments (13)

• gardengal11
    14 years ago

Do you have bees or insects around to pollinate? Mine have a ton of luffahs on them and I planted them late (in early june). They may need to be pollinated. Hornets in particular love my plant flowers.

• mindystuck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i assume i dont have any bees around to pollenate my luffahs. Is there a way to attract bees? i live in south fla

• atlanticgiantpumpkin
    14 years ago

Well, you could add some colorful plants, around the gourds, to attract more bees, but then there could be cross pollination, so i would hand pollinate...

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Well, it is to late for new gourds anyway.

About cross pollination; Not every single plant can get cross pollinated with another , unless they are closely related.
    Question:
    Is luffa gourd a lagenaria or cucurbita?
    If I understand it well, lagenaria have white flowers that open after sun goes down. Cucurbita, on the otherhand, have yellow flowers that open in the morning. If luffa is night blooming/white-flowered, then you have to hand pollinate its female flowers, since there will be no bees around then. In some places there might be some night flying moths that can do pollinationg. But it is not guarantteed.

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Ther are two species of Luffa gourds and many cultivars within those two species. Most folks who use the generic terms luffa or loofa are refering to the species Luffa cylindrica also called dishrag gourd, climbing okra, Sponge gourd. The other species is Luffa acutangular often called Ribbed gourd, Chinese okra, Angled Loofa.
    Both species have yellow blossoms.They do not cross pollinate with other types of gourds or squash. They are insect pollinated, but you did not mention blooms. Are they blooming yet. They are slow to get going and 6 ft is not much of a vine. If you still do not have fruit at 20 ft, it will be time to start worrying.

• magickiwi
    14 years ago

Some gourd growers have found that if they put on an outside light it will attract the moths that pollinate the night blooming flowers or you can collect pollen from the male flowers with a q-tip and tap some pollen off into the female flowers. Really! Also - another gourder put solar lights out in her gourd growing area and that attracted the pollinators. It is pretty late now but it is something to remember for next year. Also, be on the lookout for the solar lights at garage sales and end of season sales. Perhaps even white Christmas lights. Good luck.
    Cheers from Kalamazoo MI

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Luffas are day bloomers.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Thank farmerdilla.
    I never had pollination problems with day flowering gourds.
    But I alway hand pollinate my night flowering(lagenaria)gourds.
    I would just pick a male. gently strip its petals or open them flat. Bring it over to a female and lower on the female, having them kiss. And with the power bestowed on me ,the gardener, I would pronounce them husband and wife.LOL
    CYRUS

• chatrgrama
    14 years ago

Sometimes luffah (luffa) gourds get tempermental. I found when the first vine get 6 to 8 ft. long, pinch off the very top end. The new vines grow out the side of the main vine and those are the ones that produce the "fruit", that goes for most all gourds too. Those produce both male and female flowers, the main vine only produces male flowers. (You'll see the baby luffah under the flower on the females, just like zucchini, pumpkins, etc.) Attached link is an article I wrote about cleaning luffas several years ago, hope you can grow enough next year to use this. I moved to a cold zone so I can't grow them anymore.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning Luffas

• magickiwi
    14 years ago

Thanks farmerdilla - It is obvious that I don't grow luffa gourds - I usually get mine from friends and I never thought to ask them about their bloomers. I have only grown night bloomers - and not very successfully here in SW Michigan! I thought I had thanked you for informing on that but I must have forgotten to "submit" the message and just stopped at the "preview" area! Sorry about that.
    Cheers and Happy Gourding

• ldphilmon
    8 years ago

I am a first time gourd grower and they have set on very well. I have loads of gourds forming but am concerned about the mass of vines that are coming on. Should I be pruning the vines (and if so, how do I do this) to insure that more growth will go the the newly forming gourds rather than to the vines and leafs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Larry

• beesneeds
    8 years ago

I know the thread is old but.. I grew luffas in 2013. In SW Michigan.

Nope, I didn't trim the vines at all. I let them just grow up and over the trellis I had- it's a 6 foot vertical with another 12 foot horizontal over kind of deal. And wow did the vines grow like mad for a goodly part of the season!! After a while once a couple/few dozen fruits had set, and maybe something to do with the weather.. the vines kind of stopped growing like mad and the fruits started plumping up like mad instead.

• ldphilmon
    8 years ago

Thanks for the info. Makes me feel like there is hope yet. Mine are growing on a trellis 8 ft. wide by 6 ft. high. As I said, lots of fruit and lots of vines but maybe the vines will slow down soon, too . I'm growing mine in north central Wash. state and hopefully they will make before the first frost. Next time I'll try fewer plants or more trellis. Thanks again. Larry

Sponsored