Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird House Gourd Storage

Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 13:25

Hi Folks,

Researched storing bird house gourds in this forum and the consensus (sp?) seemed to be leave them in the garden over winter. Great idea, but due to rotation, will need that space come October to plant Garlic (French Music). So will need to harvest and move to the barn. Thinking of putting them on chicken wire strung between the ceiling joists, that way they'll get plenty of air flow.

A related question is, do mice damage them in storage. Have a major field mouse problem in the barn. I put down D-Con, TomCat, etc. begining in September and continue through the winter. Not going into the damage caused to small and large engines by the little kritters.

Thoughts, opinions welcomed.

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird House Gourd Storage

Yes mice will eat them. I store mine in metal trash cans, though they are dried before I do that. How many do you have? If it isn't many you could just let them dry in your basement or something. Anywhere that you can keep the mice out will work. And as an FYI they will eat through plastic bins to get to the gourds, that is why I use metal for long term storage.

If you can get chicken wire with small enough holes I would recommend wrapping and sealing the gourds in chicken wire. That would provide a physical barrier to keep the mice out, but still have plenty of air flow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here