Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystaleyes_gw

Twisted my pumpkin vine too far and it cracked/split open!

CrystalEyes
9 years ago

First I should say I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I bought a "Pumpkin kit" from Christmas Tree Shop, the 2" seedling pot did not prepare me! Before I get into my issue, my setup is a little unorthodox. I live in an apartment with only a "Juliette Balcony" that's like 6 feet wide and 8 inches deep. I have 3 pumpkin plants each in their own 24" planter out there (I know, crazy! I didn't know any better until it was too late).

Anyways I've finally started to see some female pumpkin buds, most are still teeny tiny, but one looks like it's about to bloom tomorrow or the day after (already turning orange-y-ish). But the way the bud was tipped down into the dirt I was afraid it wouldn't get the chance to open and I wouldn't be able to pollinate it. So I tried to gently turn the vine and separate the bud (it was on top of the vine of another plant too) and in doing so I felt a bit of a pop (I thought I just bent a leaf stem, but no dice!) and I think I over twisted the vine and it split/cracked open. The split is like 2.5-3" long (although not really wide). It sorta looks like what happens when you have those squash borers (from what I've googled), but not as wide, and I'm the one who did the damage.

What I want to know is, will the rest of the vine after the split survive? And is there anything I can do to help it heal?

The crack is on my heartiest plant, so I'm really bummed (same plant with the first female that should open tomorrow). It's the longest vine I have (total vine is probably 7 feet long, the crack is probably 3 feet from the base).

Thanks for your help!

Comments (3)

• Steve349
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear of your mishap. Its best to move vines after the sun gets a chance to warm things up. I would say it should heal over. But it is kinda late for a pumpkin to grow to any real size. Try to keep the split clean.

• CrystalEyes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! It's unseasonably warm here today (~80 F) so hopefully that's a good thing.
    And I know it's a bit late, I'm only hoping for one small pumpkin per vine (I planned to trim off any others if/when one really started to take). This isn't a project I plan to repeat until I have my own home/garden =).

Also I read somewhere about burying the split vine, is that something I should do?

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County