Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakskrilla

will my pumpkins still grow

jakskrilla
12 years ago

i had no idea about squash bugs being a first year pumpkin grower.....they took over my pumpkins and i lost 6 out of the 11 plants.....i've tried sevin, eight, malathion, soap and water mixture......and of course hand picking them every night and smashing all eggs i find..... gotten most of them finally......i have one left i cant find no matter what and it's killed almost all of the leaves of the rest of the 5 plants...all i have left on it is pumpkins and some flowering buds....i got a late start this year......with no leaves and just a vine, will the pumpkins still grow that i already have........STUPID SQUASH BUGS........THIS IS COSTING ME AN ARM AND A LEG!!!!! OR SHOULD I CALL IT QUITS AND BURN EVERYTHING AND START FRESH NEXT YEAR...............

THANX FOR ANY HELP

JAK

Comments (3)

• planetes
    12 years ago

are you sure it's a squash bug? I don't have those here or SVB's but I do have a healthy supply of slugs and snails and they love cucurbit leaves.

• Sid23
    12 years ago

I hear you jakskrilla! I did not know about the Squash bugs and did not find them until they had taken over. I first picked by hand and drown them. Now I have been getting them good with KIRK's Castile soap. It works great and is cheap. So I have only spent about a dollar but probably 8-10 hours over the last week and a half.Just time consuming but less time every day now. Hoping to salvage my crop. You may as well leave them on the vine as weirdtrev says and see what happens. Have any of the pumpkins started to turn orange yet?

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz