Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wartywhite

the day after the freeze..

wartywhite
12 years ago

Well, even 12 blankets and sheets didn't entirely save my vines.It reached 28.5 degrees at 6:10am and then started to climb back up to a sunny day and 56 degrees.

When I removed the blankets at 8:30 (the freeze warning had been extended to 8am)they didn't look so bad, but when I got home today about 2pm the leaves looked awful. The blanketed vines fared better, but sometime during the night some of the sheets had fallen off the fence or blown off altogether. The leaves look pretty mushy.

QUESTIONS! Four to be exact

Can a vine that has leaves that are healthy in some spots and damaged in others survive? If so...

Should I cut those mushy leaves from those vines if they can be kept?

Should I go ahead and remove fruit that is cloe to maturity?

I have many littles that are pollinated but not even near maturity (no bigger than tennis ball size.) I guess they're goners if the most leaves on the vine are very wilted, correct?

A huge thanks in advance to any insight anyone is able to provide. We certainly appreciate it:) The good news is that it's not supposed to go below 45 degrees at night now for the next 3 weeks!! If it weren't for just that one frigid night we would have been good:(

Comments (2)