Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jac14_gw

Pumpkin Seedlings

Jac14
9 years ago

Hi!
I'm new to pumpkin growing and I have read everything I need to now about them. I have a problem (I think)... when I transplanted my pumpkin seedlings (they were leggy) they both were not a dark green, healthy color, more yellow-green. Also, one of the seedling's leaves are turning brown and dying at the edge of the leaf.

They are both Burpee Early Sweet Sugar Pie Pumpkins.

Does anyone know why both things are happening?
Thank you in advance!

Pumpkin #1:

Pumpkin #2:

Comments (5)

• springtogarden
    9 years ago

My seedlings looked a little bit like this and the continued rain in June after I planted them, didn't help either. I think it is hard to start cucurbit seedlings and then transplant them. But it can be done! They are a bit yellow as you mentioned and need to be feed. The seedlings' nutrients get washed out when there are in a little pot. I use Dr. Earth but you can use other fertilizers. I believe in the beginning they need more nitrogen and as they start fruiting they need others more and nitrogen less. I think it is more potassium for the flowering stage among something else. Nitrogen helps with the green leaves. HTH!

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

There usually isn't a need to start pumpkins indoors, that's probably why they are yellow and have brown edges. Just throw some seeds in the ground, I bet they will catch up to your transplants.

• acorneti
    9 years ago

Yes, in tropical Florida there is no need for indoor propagation. Behind modern glass your plants get no UV-B rays. The lack of UV-B makes the hypocotyl too long.
    But the rest of symptoms is Alternaria blight. You can grow such plants and they will survive with a perfect fertilizing management, but you will have more alternatia then in your soil. Here it looks like seedborn Alternaria, so your soil might be not contaminated.
    I would trash all theese plants and register a complaint for the seed seller.

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

Again here I disagree, I do not see where you are basing this diagnosis of Alternaria, there is not a single leaf spot in these pictures?

• Jac14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses! I didn't start them indoors, I kept them on my patio partially in the shade so the soil wouldn't dry out and have the plants die from heat from direct sunlight. I do not want to put seeds into the ground now because with these seedlings, I could get pumpkins by Christmas for pumpkin pie.

Also, can I sprinkle some granular fertilizer around the base of the plant? Will the fertilizer kill the plants at this young age?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!