Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mildew on my leaves!!

Posted by binkalette Minnesota (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 16, 09 at 17:59

Ok so the pumpkin I planted earlier this year now has 3 pumpkins on it.. One of them is very orange already, the largest one is just starting to turn orange, and the third hasn't started turning orange yet at all..

Now, a couple of days ago I went out and noticed that the oldest leaves on the vine were starting to turn yellow.. I figured it was normal because the fruits are maturing.. but then I noticed there is white powdery mildew spots ALL OVER the leaves! Almost all the leaves are effected at least some... this seems to have developed very quickly.. because a week ago, there wasn't any mildew spots.

My question is: Will my pumpkins be ok?? Do I need to find a mildew killer and use it on the leaves now or will the pumpkins be fine if the vines die? Our weather is starting to cool off here and some of the tree's are beginning to change and drop leaves. Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mildew on my leaves!!

You can spray your vines, to minimize mildew damage and possibly give the younger pumpkins a chance. But it is already past mid September and pumpkin vines are destined to die soon anyway. Pumpkins , melons, winter squash etc.
can continue ripening even after harvest.Ripening is a bio-chem process that in the later stage will take place inside the fruit. We see this all the time with some of the fruits sold in super markets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here