Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird House gourds- please help!!!

Posted by hotshott 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 08 at 19:01

OK, my gourd plants are dying but I thought I could revive them with some natural fertalizer. I don't have extra money to be spending on it (have twins and "new" house), but was wondering if there was something from my kitchen our around my house they qould enjoy? For instance, I put egg shells and coffee grinds on my rose bushes.
Also, could it be possible to be wantering them too much? The leaves are turning yellow and dying from the root up. There is new growth and that looks great, but am I at a loss here?
Thank you for helping me! This is my first year growing them and I am a major crafter and will be SO dissappointed if I don't get at least one out of my five platns this year.
-Monica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird House gourds- please help!!!

You didn't mention any gourds on your vines. What is the condition of the gourds? Have they reached a size that would carry them through to maturity?

If there are no gourds, or they are very small, they probably won't make it this year.
As for the coffee grounds, and egg shells, we try to add them before the growing season, and work them into the soil.

You may have to consider this season a learning season, and try again next year.

Jan

o
RE: Bird House gourds- please help!!!

Older leaves die, that is normal and not a problem. As long as the new growth is healthy the plants are fine. If you don't have gourds forming yet you might not get any to maturity before frost. Hard-shelled gourds take awhile to grow. I plant mine mid-May in zone 7.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here