Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
EEEP! Pumpkin broke off the vine early!

Posted by coloradobotanygirl 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 19:53

I'm in Zone 5, and while trying to put some newspaper under one of my pumpkins it broke off of the vine. It is mostly orange already with a slight green venation near the very top. The vine also broke with only about 2 inches of stalk/stem on the pumpkin. Please help with advice on what to do. This is the first year growing pumpkins for my kids, I really don't want this one to rot; it was one of the best ones out of the patch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: EEEP! Pumpkin broke off the vine early!

I had a similar problem. Just take it off and sit it in the sun. It might ripen up a little more. Having a little green on a pumpkin isn't bad. Sounds like my pumpkin has more green on it than yours does. After just a day in the sun off the vine I noticed less green already. They ripen up pretty quickly once they get started.

The photo I'm posted was taken yesterday after mine broke off the vine. It's actually more orange in person and the back side of it that you can't see in the photo is all orange with no green at all.

o
RE: EEEP! Pumpkin broke off the vine early!

I found some info for you on how to ripen your pumpkin off the vine. It's pretty simple really.

Here is a link that might be useful: ripen your pumpkin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here