Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riley1739

hollowing out gourds

riley17
14 years ago

I just picked my first gourd, its a bushel gourd. I was reading posts on here about drying them before cutting them open, but could I cut into it and hollow it out and then let it cure? Or would it rot if I did that?

Thanks,

Holly

Comments (5)

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Probably not a good idea.Because it if is not fully dried,
    it could shrink/crack/ warp.
    At later stages of drying, you can work on them but not rightaway, right now. of the vine.
    If you have lots of them and you just can't wait, then go ahead and do whatevere you like. You can learn an gain some experience. Remember "Experience" is another word for our mistakes(Grin!)

• denninmi
    14 years ago

Yeah, you do all of the cleaning, etc., AFTER they are fully dried and cured. Be forewarned, some of them rot in the curing process anyway, and they all pretty much get some minor surface mold (this is harmless). Put the gourd in the warmest, driest place you have, preferably with good air circulation. It could take quite a while to cure -- mine usually take most of the winter to fully dry out and harden.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

If a gourd is fully matured on the vine, it will NOT rot, even if it is covered by mold. Mold can only grow on the outer skin and cannot damage the hard shell underneath.

You can pick gourds off the vine IFF their stem(conncting to vine) is brown and shrunk.Then you can store it anywhere that you want to dry. Some just would leave them outside, some will bring them inside. Perhaps, leaving them outside in the cold /freezing temperatures in fall and winter is just as good as inside. Cold air is very low in humidity and that can accelerate drying.

cyrus

• riley17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok thanks! I figured I'd have to wait, but the problem is I gotta find a spot to store them.... :) I was hoping to make bird houses out of them and hang them outside for decoration, but I will wait until they dry out. Thanks!

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Yes. It would be better to let them dry till next spring an then make bird houses. I am going to practise some carving, burning, painting, or combinaton thereof. This is going to be my fireside activity.

About storing:
    From what I have learned, you can just leave bottle gourds outside all winter, rain, shine or snow. That is as long as there are no predators out there to damage them, like possibly rats, deers.
    To help dry them faster, they have to need air flowing around them, especially when they are green or have molds on them.
    If you have a porch,barn, shed... you may want to hang them there .
    My gourd vines are dying slowly of old age. Most of the gourds are stil on the vines and will be there for another couple of months to pass the survival test, wheather will rot or not.
    Those that did not mature will rot and/or will brake apart when handled.

Sponsored