Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new here asking for bug ID help

Posted by moonandmagnolia sc texas (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 15, 08 at 22:13

hello everyone. i have been battling some sort of fungus and svb worms and caterpillars all summer organically. now, new bugs have appeared. is there anyway to upload a picture of them? they are orange red with black legs. also i have noticed that some plant leaves have little black bb gun pellets on them. they are probably not beneficial but i don't wish to kill them until i know for sure. also, has anyone heard of using skim milk and water to combat powdery fungus mildew? thanks for any help! i am a semi-newbie gardener.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new here asking for bug ID help

To up load a photo. Use a digital camera. Upload to an outfit like Photobucket (Its free) copy the html code ( third line under the photo on PhotoBucket. Paste into your response in the forum. Lots of folks report that the milk fungicide works as a preventative. I prefer baking soda myself. Have no idea what your red bugs may be. Leaf footed bug nymphs are reddish orange so could be a possibilty.

o
RE: new here asking for bug ID help

thanks farmerdilla! you were so right, they are squash bug nymphs. i may have to hand pick them off, but then may try to get my young chickens to eat them, save me some time. organic gardening is a challenge! what baking soda mix do you use for powdery mildew? i may try that next. thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here