Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dolivo_gw

please help identify!

dolivo
12 years ago

Hello!

My son brought home a seedling plant from school last spring that his teacher told me was a pumpkin plant. She said she got the seeds from a friend. I planted it in my garden and it took off growing.

Well, now I have 3 small "pumpkins". the biggest one hasn't grown or changed color in a month. I have searched online and asked everyone what kind of pumpkin this is and no one can tell me. i'm even starting to wonder if it IS a pumpkin.

Can someone tell me what this is, and give me some information about it?

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g411/DawnOlivo/Garden%20Aug%2010%202011/pumkinandsquashpeppersaug252001005.jpg

thanks!

Comments (3)

• Sid23
    12 years ago

Looks like a cross of some sort. If the teachers friend got the seeds from a pumpkin she grew more than likely it cross pollinated with some other gourd, squash or pumpkin in the garden at the time. If you wan't a true pumpkin it is best to use seeds from a store. Squash and pumpkins are very promiscuous in the garden, with the bees help of course!

• dolivo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

wow... ok. I never thought about cross pollination. I also had yellow squash and zucchini in my garden. Is it possible that the bees cross pollinated the pumpkin flower with a yellow squash or zucchini male flower?
    If so, is this a common occurance in gardens?

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor