Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerngirlz3

Drying gourds in zone 3 - can do it in shed?

northerngirlz3
17 years ago

I've dried lots of gourds successfully in my basement, but this years harvest is going to be too big to fit down there. I have an outbuilding that is unheated, and am wondering if I could just put them in there? I live in northern MN, so it can get 30 below zero. I don't care if it takes forever for them to dry, I just don't want them to crack. I've heard of people further south just leaving the gourds in the field, and letting it snow on them, and they are fine.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever left fresh gourds in an outbuilding that gets really cold?

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• mogardening
    17 years ago

I leave my gourds either outside or in an unheated barn. The gourds that are too thin will crack and rot no matter where you put them. The gourds I leave outside, I put them on wooden palettes up against a side of a building.
    Kate

• whte_mountian_witch
    17 years ago

I don't have the problem with cold, but I have dried them in a number of different areas. I'm shelves, on my kitchen counters on window sills. Something i have done is when i start to see patches of skin molding or discoloring on the gourds I get a sharp knife and just start scraping it off. They seem to try faster this way and i haven't lost any gourds doing this. I did have one that collasped in on itself but i think that was for another reason.