Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedsonshirt

C. moschatas

seedsonshirt
16 years ago

I'm looking for short-vined and/or early C. moschatas. Does anyone know of some specific varieties and where I could find them?

Comments (7)

• farmerdilla
    16 years ago

Burpee's Butterbush, Chieftain PMR, Autumn Glow, Pilgrim. All these are butternuts. The other types of C. Moschata that I know are vining.

• seedsonshirt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks farmerdilla!

That gives me plenty to look into!

• jerryung
    15 years ago

Anyone know which semi vining c. moschata butternut has the best resistance to squash vine borer? This year all my c. maximas (marina di chioggia) and c. pepos(melonette jaspee de vendee and honeyboat) were devastated in a span of 2 weeks. Only my black futtsu plants are still alive but they are starting to show signs of borer damage too. I've knifed out about 30 1 inch grubs the past week from my plants. While rooting up the infected plants I've found at least 7 grubs in the soil. I'm planning on growing Autumn Glow for next year. I just hope it has some resistance to squash vine borers. If Autumn Glow's semi vining tendencies are due to being crossed with c. pepo then I think they'll have the same problems with the squash vine borers.

By the way, anyone ever tried Hidemi c. moschata japanese variety squash? There's a source in Germany that has some but they wont send to the US. I read that it's semi vining. Anyone know a source in the US where I can get some?

I live on the East coast with mostly mild winters.

Thanks,
    Jerry

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

The only one of these that I have grown is the Butterbush. I t has the typical hard vine resistance to the SVB. I don't know how they developed the dwarf form, but I doubt that C. pepo was involved.

• jerryung
    15 years ago

Farmerdilla,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I guess I'll have to pick up a pack or two of the Butterbush for next year. I'll grow 'em side by side with the Autumn Glow and see which of the two bear the tastier fruits. That the Autumn Glow has variegated foliage is a plus I think. I've tried Waltham before a long time back and remember the vines were as long as the Black futtsus I grow now. Over 17 feet for the main vine.

Thanks,
    Jerry Ung

• weedlady
    10 years ago

I just found this older post as I was searching for other info on Burpee Butterbush squash. I bought a started plant at a nursery (had a gift cert I was trying to use up!) in hopes of having an actual BUSH winter squash. HAH! Check out the photo. Burpee's website describes it as producing 4-5 fruits on a plant 10"-12" high with a 36" spread--HAH again!! I can count at least 13 fruits so far and in addition to the vines fastened to the trellis I added, several more are snaking out in other directions!
    This is not the first time I have planted a so-called bush variety from Burpee and ended up with a standard-sized vine. Their "BUSH" cucumber I planted a few years ago in a 5-gallon container soon required 4 stakes and a lot of twine, even with some judicious pruning.
    Now, it could be that the nursery mis-labeled the squash, but I had planted the cucumbers myself from their labeled packet.
    Anyone else end up with surprises like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Burpee Butterbush

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

Butterbush for me did not get any larger than a standard zucchini plant. Fruits are small also. most less than two lbs.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery