Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I dry out a Swan Gourd?

Posted by suebot 6CT (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 31, 05 at 7:53

Hi All,

I bought a beautiful Swan (it looks just like a swan) gourd in Vermont about 2 weeks ago and have it sitting out on my front porch. I want to dry it out and turn it into a bird house. Should I bring it inside before it freezes? How do I go about drying it? How long does it take? Any advice would be so helpful. Do I make the holes for the birds now or wait until it has dried out?
Please respond to sbot@ur.com.
Thanking you in advance,
suebot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I dry out a Swan Gourd?

See the drying post about two posts down. Most of that will apply. Don't drill holes til gourd is completely dry, or it will rot. It has to feel like balsa wood. It can take a few weeks to a few months. Has to dry from inside out, so some take longer than others. Freezing will not hurt it, but I have read that the seeds will not be viable for planting it they freeze before drying. The nice pretty green skin will turn to a horrible scummy mouldy appearence. This is a normal part of the drying process. As long as your gourd is solid and not thin shelled, it will turn out OK and will eventually dry completely. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here