Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help In Gourd/Pumpkin ID

Posted by plantmarker z7 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 10, 06 at 9:57

Hi Folks -

I saw a couple of varieties of gourds or pumpkins at the local fair this past week which, to me, were very unusual. I would like to describe them as best I can and, perhaps, someone could help me out with their ID and tell me where I could obtain seeds.

Here they are:

1) A round fruit, much more flat than tall. Approximately 10-15 lbs. Pale orange skin. The distinguishing feature on this one is that it was completely covered with LARGE, irregularly-shaped warts, which looked exactly like peanut shells.

2) A round fruit, much more flat than tall. Approximately 5-10 lbs. Very dark green to black skin with large, roundish warts completely covering the fruit. The warts were as large as or larger than marble size.

Thank you for your help.

PlantMarker

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help In Gourd/Pumpkin ID

Check out the link to identify gourds.
http://www.thegourdreserve.com/tgr_gourd_id_chart.html

It is very good - hope you find your gourds!

Just remember that the ones you saw were probably grown just this summer and were green - you are looking for the shape and for those bumps - check out "Warties" there and also do a google search for warties or warty gourds.

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourd ID chart

o
RE: Help In Gourd/Pumpkin ID

The first is without a doubt in my mind a Galeuse d'Eysines also known as Courge Brodee Galeuse, Galeux d'Eysines, Giraumon Galeux d'Eysines and warted sugar marrow depending on where you go. Today actually I saw a guy selling some referring to them as "a new peanut pumpkin", but anyway they are about 11.5" in diameter and 6.5" inches high and are about 18 pounds.

Here is a Picture: http://underwoodgardens.com/catalog/images/PumpkinBrodede.gif

The second I am not as sure about but I think it could be a Marina di Chioggia also known as Chioggia sea pumpkin, Zucca Barucca and Zucca Santa depending on your location. It is 11" in diameter and 7" high and are about 11 pounds.

Here is a different picture:
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/images/sqmc.jpg

Just try googling some of the names since I don't know how to add the actual pictures. Hope that helped.

Trevor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here