Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
after cutting off the vine ?

Posted by krp58 Maine z4/5 (sastables@pivot.net) on
Wed, Oct 26, 05 at 10:19

I have just cut my gourds off the vine (stems were brown)and wondering what to do now? 2 out of 6 of them were on the ground and are spotted with brown. Are these ok? They seem lighter than the others.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: after cutting off the vine ?

Put them somewhere to dry? LOL Do you mean lighter in weight or lighter in color? Lighter in weight probably is an indication they are already drying.I don't know how big they are but if they aren't very big you can slip them down inside the cut off legs of old panty hose and hang them somewhere to dry.In a garage,shed or under a carport?? Or sit them somewhere out of the weather to dry,like on a pallet or something so the air can circulate around them. The brown spots may be mold forming,which is natural.Some people clean them with a solution of bleach and water to help keep the mold off,but personally I think what will be underneath the mold when the gourds are completely dried and cleaned is what gives them their unique look........Lillie

o

where should they go to dry? I live in Maine and it is getting cold here. Do I keep them in a closet or a basement? Should they be out of the sun? I am not sure what to do with them but it is going to be cold tonight so I was thinking of getting them inside.
I think the lighter gourd might have mold or rot on it.. I am not sure how to tell. It is brown.

o

I live in Central NY zone 5 I dry mine in my kitchen... takes all winter before they dry... good luck.

o

Good air flow is essential to minimize rotting and mold. If you're not going to leave them in the field, anywhere cold, dry and somewhat protected is optimal. I have found the sun to be helpful in the drying process. Darkness seems to exacerbate heavy mold growth. Good Luck!

o

I have a pallet here left behind from the roofers. Can I put them on the pallet in the vegie garden and let them dry outside. I'm in zone 4 in the Adirondacks. Our winters are cold, damp, and wet. Thanks for any info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here