Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkins

Posted by cookie8 zone 5 ON (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 31, 08 at 11:17

I tried pumpkins again this year and they did very poorly.I had them in concrete holders. The bottom was open so the roots were free to go down. Each holder was about 10" in diameter and 8" in height. Was this a bad move and may have caused the poor growth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkins

It may have been a bad move as squash roots often like to spread sideways. However, if given adequate fertilizer and water, it may not have mattered. Squash are heavy feeders; a daily feeding of urea and fish emulsion would not be too much. It may be that the variety doesn't like your climate. Has this pumpkin variety grown well for you in the past? Many squash (including pumpkins) are very daylight sensitive. For example, if it was bred to grow well in the South (or even if the seed was grown in the South for a Northern seed company), it may stop growing altogether in the North during the longer summer days, and start growing again when the days get shorter.

If you have never had luck with this variety, try other ones until you find one that grows well for you.

o
RE: Pumpkins

Thanks. I will try again - this time straight into the ground with fertilizers (blush). Oh, and some research.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here