Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
materwitch

Need help identifying my squash....and frost advice.

sunnyk
12 years ago

I planted 2 varieties of squash in one patch. And of course the vines grew every which way so I cant confirm which squash vines came from which seeds. One type was from a swap and the packet was labeled Pumpkin 'Mexican', and the other was from seeds I bought and that was labeled Squash 'Thai Kang Kob'. Now, I have no clue what Mexican pumpkin looks like, but I am fairly certain from descriptions I have found on the web that neither squash is Thai Kang Kob. If any one can help id'ing these I would greatly appreciate it.

These, I think, are from the hill marked Thai Kang Kob, and the squash from the first picture is much darker in real life and about the size of a dinner plate....maybe 8 or 9 inches across:

This next picture, the squash is about 6 or 7 inches across and the scratches are from me trying to fit the basket around it to deter squirrels:

This picture is from the hill marked 'Mexican'....maybe ....it is growing up in an evergreen tree so this is the best shot I could get.

I am miserable because I know these squashes are no where near ready to harvest and now the weather man is calling for a big cold rain ending as snow for both tomorrow night and Saturday. And although there is no accumulation called for I know that this will be bad for my squashes.I am tempted to just pick them and use them as summer squash, but this is the first time I have had any type of luck with Winter squash and I have waited so long for these to do anything, so I dont want to jump the gun if they may be able to survive the weekend and get to full maturity....I really need advice.

Thanks

Donna

Comments (3)

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, the snow flew and the leaves all died. But the vines are still plenty green and sturdy. The squash are still healthy looking but don't look mature or hardened so I know they are not ready for Winter. Is this a lost cause?? We have all warm weather... 55-65 degree days and 45 - 55 degree nights... for at least the next week or so. Will it make any difference? I just figured as long as they look healthy and happy I would leave them out, but if there is no chance of them going the distance I may as well pick them and treat them as I would a Summer squash.

Any thoughts??

Sponsored