Houzz Logo Print

Comments (9)

• MNature
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ooops!

• greenjay
    18 years ago

My guess would be " humongous pumpkinicus " ! LOL That 's one BIG pumpkin/ gourd that you've got there !
    I honestly have no idea, but I'm certain that someone in here should be able to identify it for you !
    Happy Growing !
    Jay

• lovetogarden
    18 years ago

Looks like the 'cinderella pumpkin'. Not the fairy tale - that's the variety, though I'm not sure of the french name I know the first part is 'rouge d' but I don't know what follows. I'v grown that variety about ten years ago, though they all got enormous like that and I didn't want to give that much space to them. Hope this helps and if anyone else knows the french name please let me know.

• kms4me
    18 years ago

Rouge Vif d'Estampes is the other name for Cinderella pumpkins. I grew them this year, they were flat like that one but much redder and did not have those great bulges in their lobes. That is one great pumpkin.

Kate

• lovetogarden
    18 years ago

Kate, maybe it's a new Hybrid.

MNature, maybe you should do a search and if you can't find anything like it find out how to go about naming it and marketing it. I'd save the seeds if I were you. You should go to the seed savers forum and find out how to save the seeds from this goliath.

• sueloring
    18 years ago

It is a Fairytale pumpkin....
    we grew same variety -got the seeds from Harris seeds. It is 115 to 125 day pumpkin and takes forever to turn to it's cheese color.
    There are other names for it though...
    seen in Jung's they called "Rumba squash".

Seed Saver's has the official french name which is....
    Musquee de Provence
    ...and states it was introduced in 1899 to American markets but dates back much farther than than in European times. Very good variety for baking if you would be cruel enough to cut up the beauty.
    You can seeds thru Seed Saver's Exchange from Decorah, Iowa
    They have a great catalog and website.
    Also Baker Seeds out of Missouri have an extensive listing of old varieties.

Link below has another picture of the pumpkin/squash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Musquee De Provence

• Tomato_Worm59
    18 years ago

Sue is correct. It is a Fairytale. The Rouge D'tampes or Cinderella, is a flatter, less deeply ribbed/lobed and dark red/orange pumpkin. Be sure to save its seeds!

• nvpoppy
    15 years ago

Hello, I have never grown fairytale pumpkins, but fell in love with their shape when I saw them for the first time. The photo looks very similar to one I purchased last fall, at quite a hefty price I might add, hoping to harvest the seeds for next year. It was a little flatter and more brownish purple, and to my amazement this pumpkin had not one seed inside! Does anyone know why this could be? Thank You.

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Umm... sounds like some kind of an anomaly (fluke). Some curcibits can set fruit without seed. But I haven't heard of a pumpkin that did such a thing. I've encountered a few with very few seeds. But none with no seed.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?