Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I find info on growing gourds?

Posted by tl.graham 6 NE OH (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 13:25

I am extremely interested in growing gourds next year. Is there a "best" place to find information on growing them. Are their particular gourds that a "newbie" should grow before trying anything else? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I find info on growing gourds?

There is a book called Gourds In Your Garden that I've found particularly useful. However any book on growing pumpkins is equally as usuful and the information translates well whether you grow gourds or pumpkins. There are two main types of gourds ornamental gourds (Cucurbita pepo) which are the small colorful ones, and hardshelled gourds (lagenaria siceraria) which are large and only different shades of green. The hardshelled gourds are used in crafts like birdhouses and such, and the ornamental gourds are used mostly in colorful fall displays.

Unless you really care what you grow I recommend that you buy a gourd that you find particularly interesting and save seeds from it. Because that gourd grew in a field mixed with many other gourds of varying shapes and colors you never know what you will get from it. But more often than not the seeds will grow into gourds of a similar color or shape to what you started with.

o
RE: Where can I find info on growing gourds?

The link below will direct you to all you need to know from planting to harvesting to crafting gourds.
And since you live in Ohio, too bad you missed this year's weekend festival of the Ohio Gourd Society held down near Dayton, in Greenville. If you are a gourd fan, you definitely need to get this on your calendar for next year! They have great workshops as well as displays gourd art work and numerous vendors selling all varieties of gourd seeds as well as mature gourds (and other natural materials), some cleaned, some not, in all price ranges.Click on this link and peruse the photo gallery for info and inspiration!!
http://americangourdsociety.org/ohiochapter/

Just be sure you get the correct info on curing/drying gourds (which you WILL get from these sites) --I have seen a lot of misinformation online, even here within this forum.
I still have many, many gourds of various types I grew when we lived in eastern PA 20 years ago, as sound as the day I cleaned them.
Have fun!!

Here is a link that might be useful: American Gourd Society

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here