Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkin Pollination

Posted by yellowbell 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 07 at 13:40

This is my first time to plant pumpkins, and I know I planted them extremely late, but I decided to just see what would happen anyway until it gets cold (still very hot here).
The other day I finally had a female flower on one plant, but I had no male flowers on that same plant. However, there was one male flower on another pumpkin plant of a different, smaller, variety. So I decided what the heck, and just took the male flower off and rubbed it around in the female one on the other plant. A couple days later, today, there is a small green bulge about the size of a golf ball on the female flower. Was pollination successful, even though I used a different variety to pollinate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkin Pollination

Yes you can pollinate pumpkins with other pumpkins and even summer squash or ornamental gourds will work. There some exceptions to this but for the most part all of the squash type plants with those big yellow flowers can pollinate each other. It sounds like it went well and hopefully you will get a nice pumpkin. It may not be ready for Halloween but assuming frost doesn't kill it you could have a nice one for Thanksgiving.

o
RE: Pumpkin Pollination

Thanks for your reply - even if the frost does get it, that's okay. I'm kind of just practicing for next year (when hopefully I'll plant the pumpkins out at the right time). :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here