Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about marigolds

Posted by catherinet 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 13:48

Someone told me last spring that marigolds might keep squash bugs away. So I planted them like crazy around my Waltham butternut squash.

We had a drought for most of the summer, so I only got a few squash which were very small. I did see squash bugs and nymphs, but they were mostly on one squash and the zuchinni.

My question is this.........is it possible to plant too many marigolds among the squash plants and it actually stunts the plants? Might it take too many of the nutrients away from the plants?
Also..........can I just compost the marigolds, or can I let them decompose over the winter in the ground where the squash were planted?
Didn't know if the marigold's remains might have a continuing effect on the squash bugs? ...or a bad effect on next year's squash?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about marigolds

I would think as long as you keep your patch well watered and fertilized the marigolds and squash would not have to compete. The drought caused issues with my pumpkins too. There were only 1/3rd as many and they were quite small compared to most years. The May 2 snow storm didn't help, planted a month later than usual! I don't know about composting them or letting them stay in the patch. I certainly don't think it will hurt but not sure if it will help keep them away. I try to till several times after it frosts and late in the day before a hard frost so bugs or larvae are brought up to the surface to freeze over night. Not sure why but I had no trouble with Squash bugs this season, in 2011 and 2012 my patch decimated by them and I tried to get on top of them early!

o
RE: Questions about marigolds

Thanks Sid!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here