Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neohippie

When to harvest cushaws?

neohippie
13 years ago

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before (I see it's pumpkin season and the forum is full of questions), but I've been Googling and am having trouble finding info on when to harvest cushaw squash.

I'm growing Chihuahuan Landrace Cushaw from Baker Creek, and they didn't mention what color it's supposed to end up being. Right now all my fruits are ivory with green stripes, just like Green Striped Cushaw.

I have a couple that are pretty big and am eager to pick one to make Halloween goodies with. They're good and hefty and the rinds seem pretty hard, so you think I should go ahead and cut one and see what happens? How bad would it be if they were a little underripe?

I'm also a little worried because it seems I have another wave of SVB's. They killed all my other squashes, and still get the cushaws, but they manage to recover and grow back. Except sometimes they lose fruits in the process (they either abort them or the borer gets into the fruit itself and makes it rot). I haven't gotten a ripe fruit yet because of this, so I'm a bit eager to grab some before any more misfortune befalls them.

Comments (2)

Sponsored