Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drying Gourds

Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 14:07

Hello all! I am a member of the houseplant forum, newbie as well. They directed me to this forum.

This past weekend my kids and I went to a pumpkin patch and picked pumpkins and gourds. This was our first year. My MIL said I could dry the gourds and keep them forever. But she wasnt sure how.

Can anyone tell me from expereince what is the best way?

I have heard to do this outside as the smell is awful. But I also heard not to put them on the ground as they will rot. So I just dont know what to do.

Here is a pic of what I got this past weekend.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drying Gourds

Those are ornamental gourds. There is another species called hard shelled gourds that last forever and are used for crafting. The ones you have often rot away or become brittle. Though some do dry. Since it sounds like the whole concept is new to you I want to know that they lose their color and become brown and moldy.

Here is a picture of what you can expect:

You really don't need to do anything you just wait and they'll either last or they won't. Just enjoy them until you don't need them or they start molding then place them in a well ventilated area like a shed. If you have a lot of critters they will destroy them to get to the seeds.

o
RE: Drying Gourds

• Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 15:49

Thank you for responding. I took them outside for decoration. Thats a bummer. I was real excited to have pretty gourds every years.. Oh well. Cant have it all I guess.

Thanks again so much

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here