Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my picked butternut squash continue to ripen?

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 14, 09 at 14:23

We had a heavy frost last week, and instead of covering up my butternut squash patch, I decided to pick them. They looked pretty much all ripe. But today, as I was cutting into some of them to freeze, I realized that a fair number of them are just not ripe enough. If I leave the ones alone on the porch, will they continue to ripen more?
If I cook the not-quite-ripe ones, will the flesh be bitter?
Bummer. I guess I'm learning about those subtle differences in skin color, that tell us the degree of their ripeness.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my picked butternut squash continue to ripen?

In a word... no. They will not ripen further. Neither will they be bitter. But they likely won't have the rich, sweet flavor you'd expect from a Butternut. Butternuts, like other winter squashes, can be eaten immature much like summer squashes. I pick off any winter squashes that I know don't have time to ripen, and steam or saute them.
However, you likely have some squashes that are neither ripe, nor young and tender. Experimentation is in order. Try slicing, cubing, steaming, sauteing, frying, baking or whatever. They are usable, but they don't have the storage endurance of a truly ripe Butternut.

o

Thanks tcstoehr,
I roasted some that weren't so ripe, and you're right.....they aren't bitter. The puree was VERY thick. I'm thinking these might be good for "pumpkin" pie, since its so thick, and the flavor of those types of pies seem to come mostly from the spices and sugar, rather than the pumpkin/squash.
Thanks for your help.

o

winter squash/pumpkins continue ripening and changing internally after certain stage. So, they do not need to be on the live or dead vine. The same goes for melons and watermelons. The chemical changes take place continualy, by producing more sugar and loosing moisture.

o

Thanks cyrus.

o

I have had acorn squash ripen to a bright orange in the cellar over the winter, when picked slightly early. I have been watching a butternut change from slightly green to tan over the past month, on a shelf in my storage room.

Here is a link that might be useful: My country blog

o

Thanks sheryl!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here