Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyllis05_gw

Pealing gourds

phyllis05
18 years ago

I have heard that I needed to peal the green outer skin off of the outside of the gourd. Is this true and what does this do to the gourd.

Comments (3)

• gourd_friends
    18 years ago

some folks 'choose' to peel the outer layer of gourd skin to speed up the drying time, or in hopes of a smoother complexion.
    To peel the gourd, use a smooth edge knife and scrape the outer layer, being careful not to gouge the gourd.

Jan

• zoosville
    18 years ago

Hi, This is my first year at growing gourds. One fell off the vines some time ago, so I fugured I'd try scraping it just to see what happened.
    Most everyone seems to feel it is better not to peal them, but because it was small, I thought I'd give it a try.
    Used a dull paring knife as others had suggested. It looked and felt like wood. Drilled holes in bottom and neck and hung it in basement. It was drying in the basement, getting lighter and looked good.
    After about 10 days or so, because I had read that it will drip,I hung it outside as we were having some really hot days. Big mistake.
    It looked good for a few days and after a very hot and sunny day the sides caved in. Not all the way just very big dents. It's not rotting but it sort of caved in on three sides. Still outside and very light, feels totally dry but I can't hear any seeds ratteling yet.
    As someone had told me when I had a question, "the first year is experimental".
    Good luck,
    zoos

• Lillie1441
    18 years ago

I have not grown any gourds but have dried some.From what I have read it isn't a good idea to put holes of any kind in a green gourd.This will allow insects and bacteria to get inside the gourd and cause rotting and shriveling.It just stands to reason that this would not be a good thing.When the gourds dry in nature they don't have holes in them.Someone gave me a dozen green birdhouse gourds a couple of years ago.I had never dried any before but I slipped them down in the cut off legs of panty hose and tied them to the rafters on my deck.The deck is open on 3 sides with a metal roof.I hung them out in September and by March they were totally dry.They dried beautifully and I didn't lose a one.They had beautiful smooth finishes and were a light color with no dents or flaws.I didn't peel them either.For best results I say dry them as close as possible to the way they would dry in nature,and never dry them in the house in an area where you spend your time.The mold can do a big number on your lungs and sinuses.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do........Lillie

Sponsored