Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acorneti

Palav Kadoo

acorneti
9 years ago

Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central Asia from southern Russian Uzbekistan to Tajikistan. Not all of it's fruits are able to mature seed in my climate zone, but I have harvested very nice and full seed now from the fourth fruit, that I have opened.
Today I baked this giant muffin from the blossom end half of a Palav Kadoo with a dough like for muffins but with yoghurt, ginger, Chinese star anise, Garam Masala, cashew and spelt semolina.

Comments (9)

• Macmex
    9 years ago

It looks similar to the landrace moschatas found throughout Central America and the Caribbean. I bet it has great insect resistance.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

... and northern South America!
    I show you a picture of that jungle under the foliage of Palav Kadoo. As you can see, fruits have different shape but all the same coloring. The fruit in front is more beige between the lighter then normal green parts of the fruit, because this fruit (also left in the picture) was pollinated by a C. maxima 'Atlantic Giant'.

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This plant is tolerant to fusarium.
    When I want to hoist the weight of the interspecific hybrid (nearly half of the seed is good) with AGs further on, fusarium resistance is very important on our poor soil.
    Picture shows flattened ribbing, weakened coloring through the selfed AG 1385.5 Jutras 07.

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

...another Palav Kadoo x Atlantic Giant (1385xself)

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I opened the smaller one of the enlarged fruits now and named it C. moschata 'Samarkand'.

This post was edited by acorneti on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 6:56

• fresc1000
    9 years ago

Am I reading this right? You crossed an AG with a moschata? How easy is it to get viable seed when crossing maxima and moschata?

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I donôt know how easy this works without foliar boron twice before flowering and a manganese surplus in the iron loam.
    Boron cuts the pistil open, even when there is an interspecifical distinction.
    Manganese helps growing pollen hoses faster.
    Before and after artificial pollination I spray onto the baby fruit behind the female flower against mosquitos to keep away fruit flies, which bring GSD (gummy stem disease) onto naturally pollinated flowers but not into my.
    Naturally pollinated ones will abort through peacock flyôs maggots, caused by GSD or both.
    This picture shows you a through GSD mummified fetus of an unnamed C. maxima breeding.

This post was edited by acorneti on Sun, Jan 11, 15 at 13:07

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pennsylvania Dutch Crookneck x 1172 (AG 1385.5 x self)
    Palav Kadoo x 1172 (AG 1385.5 x self)
    All large seed cavities were filled half with empty and half good seed.

• fresc1000
    9 years ago

Wow, that is really awesome! I am just getting into growing squash in the last 5 years. This year I am going to try a few hybrids of my own just for fun to see what I get.