Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drying gourds

Posted by phyllis05 7 ark (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 9, 06 at 15:04

How do I dry large bushell gourd. Last year I grew 9 gourds and was only able to dry one that did not bust. This year I have several the biggest so far is 71 inches around.I don't want to loose it. I thought about putting it on pallets under a shed but this will reQuire a lot of room. Also do I need to turn them in the drying process.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drying gourds

I have not been at the gourds very long so my advice would be to go and check at American Gourd Society, Indiana Gourd Society - or type in the name of any state in a google search. They should have info on how to accomplish this with the big gourds. The best advice seems to be to leave them outside to dry over the winter, bring them in to a cold garage so animals can't get at them but put where they can have good air circulation - that kind of thing. That is a monster - hope it makes it.
Rita in Michigan

o

Phyllis,

I've only grown gourds for two seasons, last year and this. I grew the swan shaped and dipper gourds last year. I wrote a lady who has a website devoted to gourds. She told me that I could leave them out over the winter. I did and they dried wonderfully. I collected them in the early spring. Gourds that had fall off the vine ended up sitting on the ground all winter. I would go out every once in awhile (when and if I thought about it, that's how often) and I would turn them so they weren't sitting on the same side.

I grew birdhouse gourds this year but didn't get a great crop like last year. However, they too, are out there for the winter, either still hanging on the vine or sitting on the ground. Not sure if the varieties require different drying methods or not. Good luck

Michelle

o

71" around is a great accomplishment! I do turn my gourds each day. It helps to keep them from sitting in one position where moisture might accumulate and cause mold or rot. Good luck and post a picture of it!
Robin

o

One thing that is very important is to leave the gourd on the vine to the vine is dead. They will rote if taking off to early.

Here is a link that might be useful: My gourd site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here