Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
varieties that produce lots of small, winter squash

Posted by rayama 7b Birmingham, Al (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 17:05

I'm looking for recommendations for varieties of winter squash that produce lots of small squash. I'm mainly feeding my mom and I, so 4 pounds of squash is a lot. I have Early Butternut from Parks, and those were smallish but not very productive.

Is there something you can do to the plant or the soil to encourage lots of small squash? I plant basil near my squash, so I have lots of bees all over the flowers, and I fertilize with both a Osmocote and compost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: varieties that produce lots of small, winter squash

Look for small fruit size in the types you like. The bigger the fruit the fewer there will be of them. If SVB is a problem, the smaller butternuts are your best best. Acorns and Delicatas when protected from SVB are normally high yielding. There are also a few C. maximas (buttercup types) that are small and prolific/ Gold Nugget comes to mind.

o

rayama,

I tried Small Wonder Spaghetti Squash this year and they did very well. Two plants yielded 17 squash. I have only picked one so far and it came in at 2 pounds and nice flavor. There are photos on my blog...

Liisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Showing posts with label Spaghetti Squash

o

Acorn squash is smaller and is usually easy to grow. You may need to hand pollinate to get a lot of squash. I find that I have lots of blooms but very few squash is I don't hand pollinate them.

o

Thelma Sanders sweet potato squash is an acorn type that is supposed to be HIGHLY productive with very good flavor. I've not tried this one yet but am planting it this spring. You can find it at Seed Savers Exchange and Bakers Creek.

o

I agree with Liisa. I tried the Small Wonder Spaghetti Squash last year and was quite pleased. They also keep well - I ate one yesterday.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spaghetti Squash posts/photos

o

I had a neighbor that planted butternuts really close and all he got were small squash, 3-4 inches.

o

Years ago I used to grow Ponca Butternut. The vines were about 6' long and they produced a smaller butternut squash in abundance. It's a good one.

George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here