Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drying Large Gourds

Posted by GreenJay NENC (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 17:18

I have an old concrete pad in my yard that a shed used to sit on . I was wondering if I could place my gourds on it to dry . The spot receives plenty of full sun, and theres always a nice breeze, especially this time of year , here in coastal N.C.
I didn't know if the concrete might too hard or something for them during the drying process .
I did hope , however that the gourds might even dry faster there from the heat build-up in the concrete . I thought that a nice, dry,warm, concrete pad might be better than cool damp ground

Anyone have any ideas or experiance to share.
These gourds are DEFINATELY way too big to hang in panty hose , some being up to 36 inches around .
Many Thanks !
Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drying Large Gourds

Hi Jay,
I think they should dry just fine on the concrete. Just check them every few weeks for soft spots or sunken sides that could lead to rot.
Mold and peeling skin is fine. Just be patient and watch that someone like me, with gourd envy doesn't come along and pilfer a few of your fine gourds.

Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here