Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agavegrove

harvesting pumpkin seeds

agavegrove
11 years ago

I've never grown pumpkins before but want to try. We have 4-5 varieties of pumpkins we bought this year. Right now the pumpkins are still in a fresh, ripe condition.

At what point to I need to cut them open and harvest the seeds? How do the seeds need to be treated for storage?

My understanding is that our area (Fort Worth, Texas area) won't plant the seeds until closer to summer so they'll need to keep that long.

Comments (3)

• agavegrove
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. That helps a lot! I've been looking for a good seed vendor with variety but haven't found one yet. Do you recommend a place where I can buy a variety online?

• Christian
    11 years ago

Hey Agavegrove,
    I grew pumpkins this year in Garland, TX, not far from you. Results were not bad for the first time, and learned A LOT too. I grew the "sugar pie pumpkins".
    Next year, I am expanding my garden by cutting a tree, and will grow try and grow cindarella pumpkins, maybe hubbard squash too, and pie pumpkins again.

two things I had to deal with:
    - squash vine borers - they were pretty bad in the summer, but with egg-picking, and burying vines I had some partial victory. They disappeared around late Sept.
    - powdery mildew - this started late Sept. and got real bad in Oct/Nov. I think it got worse because the vines were not getting as much sun anymore, and that contributed to their decline.

Check out my blog. I have lots of into there.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog