Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions on getting more pumpkins to grow?

Posted by PlantsAndYarn 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 18:45

This is the 2nd year I've grown pumpkins. Last year I had 2, this year only 1. It is a perfect little pumpkin. But I would like to try to get more to grow.

The vines grew really well. They were all over the place & still growing until I pulled them out. I had tons of male flowers, but only 1 female. Plenty of bees enjoying the male flowers & the rest of the garden.

Any suggestions? Anything I can do to get more female flowers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions on getting more pumpkins to grow?

There are several things you can do to increase the number of pumpkins per vine. Did you fertilize your soil. Fertilizer bags have three numbers on them which represent Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium. Phosphorous will encourage the vine to produce more fruit. How close did you space your pumpkin vines? The closer the spacing, the more crowded the pumpkin vines will be. Overcrowding creates too much competition for too few resources resulting in a lower number of pumpkins. Finally, pumpkins love water. I only got two ripe pumpkins this year because of the drought, but as fall came around and with it, more rain, I now have five green pumpkins in the garden. Good luck next year.

o

Thanks for the reply.

I started 3 seeds in a peat pot with new dirt. I had to do it this way b/c something ate the new plants last year & I didn't want that to happen again. They were good sized before I put them in the raised bed of the garden. They did get some 12-12-12 when I first planted them & got plenty of water all summer. My garden isn't very big, so I just directed the vines to run between the tomatoes & corn, or along the back between the raised bed & beans.

I would like to get enough to make my own pumpkin puree without having to buy some. It would also be nice to have some to give to the grandsons.

Maybe next year I will just start 1 or 2 seeds, use some phosphorous and see what happens.

Thanks.

o

One year I had compost laying on a pile I planted pumpkins in there,we got sooo many beautiful ,big pumpkins all grandkids 4 got to pick what they wanted,fun.

o

I feel your pain. Last year I never got a single female flower. Was out there checking it every single day (along with the rest of my garden) and I saw countless male flowers, but not one female.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here