Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jac14_gw

Are seedlings doing ok?

Jac14
9 years ago

So these two plants are 25 days old. They started out a little leggy when I transplanted them. I was just wondering if the leaves should be any bigger, or the plant itself should be larger. The biggest leaves on each plant are about 2 inches long

When I say 25 days, I mean I planted the seeds 25 days ago.

]

Also, they both have about 2 inches of stem holding up rhe leaves.

Comments (11)

• Jac14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The plant in the lower picture seems to be stunted as it is growing at a much slower speed than the other seedling. Its leaves are also smaller.

Will it still be ok?
    I directly sowed new seeds to make up for these plants, but the new plants won't bear pumpkins by Christmas.

Thank you!

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

If they are not too badly rootbound (in small pots too long) they should recover. Transplants always need time to adjust and squash transplants are iffy. Best to just direct sow if possible, they do well.

• Jac14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info!

I have planted new seeds directly into the ground. Hopefully those will sprout.

Can i fertilize my seedlings with granular fertilizer?

• springtogarden
    9 years ago

They are improving! The newer leaves are more green than the older ones. They can be transplanted as long as they are not in the pot too long. Some squash varieties do better than others though. I fed my seedlings while still in their pots and again a week after I transplanted them. I actually would have fed them that day but had to order my fertilizer. I use an organic brand. I am unsure about synthetics but I did find a link about feeding them with synthetics.

Here is a link that might be useful: When Should I Start Feeding My Plant Seedlings and with What?

This post was edited by gardengal13 on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 0:07

• Jac14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info and comment!!

The seedlings are doing a ton better, except the one in the first picture is not growing as fast as the other one. This one is more leggy and the leaves aren't growing large. Is this a problem?

One more thing, the 1st plant (1st picture) will get a half inch leaf in the middle that will grow. The next day, that leaf is only just a little bit bigger.

Whereas the 2nd plant will get a half inch leaf in the middle that will grow. The next day, the leaf will be 3 inches long with a new half inch long leaf in the middle.

What is up with this?

These are the two plants today

This post was edited by Jac14 on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 18:48

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

I think you are thinking too hard about it :)

They look like they are adjusting fine.

• Jac14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are so right, I am obsessing a little too much.

;)

• Jac14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ohhh ok thanks for the info. I never read anything that said that!
    These are the seedlings now:

Also, the new seeds I directly sowed have sprouted today.

This post was edited by Jac14 on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 18:42

• springtogarden
    9 years ago

Look how nice and green they are! Don't worry about being overanxious. We all were in the beginning :). Curse of the newbie! It is the anticipation of hurry up and wait lol. The next part of waiting for the female flower to show up when you have a bunch of males will test your patience but will be well worth it. This is my favorite variety of plants to grow. Cucurbits will hook you in.

This post was edited by gardengal13 on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 19:35

• Jac14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So these are the pumpkin plant today:

I dont know what I was worrying about. Should I start directing the vine to where I want it to grow?

The middle one is from a seed I planted 16 days ago.