Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me before I drown myself in gourds

Posted by amalthea z6VA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 20, 08 at 23:16

Okay, so I work at a farmer's market and my market buddy is a gourd artist. She got me hooked on gourds after I bought one of her plain ones and started doing my own designs. I plan on growing my own next year, but I have some questions concerning yields and whatnot.
I'm planning on getting spinners, mini bottles, mini pears and eggs which will be trellised. I'm curious as to the yields of the larger ones like bottles and martins and canteens. If I'm likely to get, say four usable gourds off of each vine I'd like to plant a wider variety to have more shapes to play with. If they are much more productive I'd probably steer more towards one or two larger vines and focus on keeping those up.
For background info, I grow cut flowers professionally so I know my way around a garden, I'm just looking to keep myself in gourds for winter crafting, not opening a roadside stand. ;)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me before I drown myself in gourds

You should be able to get 4 per vine with very minimal effort. If everything goes well you could get a dozen or so. However the vines are massive more so than a standard pumpkin. I normally pinch the tip of my vines at 8 - 10 feet and one vine can easily cover 100 square feet.

o
RE: Help me before I drown myself in gourds

That's good to know. I have some space for them to ramble and I had heard that nipping the vines helps produce more vines with female flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here